I found an interesting SEOmoz post on pricing from SEO consultants and agencies a couple of days ago, and was happy to see that they included some embed code for further sharing of the main infographic (see below).
In brief, the international study found that:
- SEO costs vary widely, with $76 to $200 per hour being common in the US, Canada, and Australia/New Zealand
- Per-project pricing is quite prevalent. Project-based pricing has the edge over retainer and hourly based projects
- Retainer pricing varies widely
- ‘Hands-on’ SEO support is still commonly provided
- ‘Inbound marketing’ firms are becoming more common, vs. pure-play SEO specialist firms
- Web design/development agencies also provide many SEO services
- The majority of SEO consultants serve SMB (small to medium business) clients
Here’s the full post from SEOmoz. It includes good discussion in the comment stream as well.